| Victim's Rights
What are my rights as a crime victim?
- To notification of all criminal proceedings and charges filed against the defendant,
with the exception of initial appearance, and the right to be present at all proceedings.
- To necessary information regarding the appropriate agencies from which you may request information.
- To an explanation of the pre-sentence report, a right to make written or oral statements to the
probation officer and a right to preview the pre-sentence report.
- To be notified of the time and place of any sentencing hearing and to make a statement,
or present any information at a sentencing proceeding or any other proceeding authorized by law.
- To information regarding the return of property taken.
- To be provided the date of conviction, acquittal or dismissal of charges against the defendant
and the sentence imposed.
- To refuse an interview or other communication by the defendant, his attorney or anyone acting on his behalf.
- The status and result of any post-conviction appeal.
- To be provided a waiting area separate from the defendant, his relatives and the defense witnesses,
if available and practical.
- To submit a statement to be entered into the prisoner's records.
- To be notified of release, on bond and from prison, escape, re-arrest or death of prisoner.
- To information regarding collection of restitution.
- To the release opinion by the Alabama Department of Mental Health.
- To be notified of any hearings by the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the right to be
present and heard at such hearings.
Criteria for compensation from the
Alabama Crime Victim's Compensation Fund
- You have been the victim of personal injury
as the result of criminally injurious conduct, or
- You are the dependant of a deceased victim,
if such victim died as a result of this crime.
- You did not cause or contribute to the injury
or death of the victim.
- An application is filed within one year of the incident.
- The incident was reported to law enforcement
within 72 hours.
- You cooperated fully with law enforcement officials.
- Your economic loss has not been paid by other sources.
Montgomery County Sheriff's Office
115 S Perry St
Montgomery, Alabama 36104
Sheriff D.T. Marshall
|Non-Emergency ||(334) 832-4980 |
|Secret Witness:||(334) 832-1200|
We welcome your questions or suggestions.